2018 People's Choice Power Simmental
The 2018 People's Choice Power Simmental is SFI Reality E43C.
Casey Dickinson of Dickinson Ranch had the winning judging ballot and selected this outstanding percentage Simmental bull from Schaake Farms Inc. of Westmoreland, KS.
Schaake's bull was one of 6 finalists, as selected by the People's Choice judging ballots. Other finalists were Lee Simmental Farms, Ruby Cattle Co., Neil Duxbury Family Simmental, Ahlberg Cattle, and Hilbrands Cattle Co.
Thanks to Eberspacher Enterprise and Purina Animal Nutrition again sponsored the event.
People's Choice Power Bull marked its 14th year in 2018. Previous winners were:
• 2017 – Johnson Land & Cattle of Wessington, SD had the winning judging ballot and selected HILB/JLC Impressive Sight D1117 by Hillbrands as the winning female in 2017. Event sponsor: Purina Animal Nutrition and Eberspacher Enterprises.
• 2016 – Jerry Adamson had the winning judging ballot and selected HPF Sazerac 305C by Hudson Pine Farms as the winning female in 2016. Event sponsor: Purina Animal Nutrition and Eberspacher Enterprises.
• 2015 – Iowa's Nate Ruby must have had a lucky charm in his pocket. When the winning judging ballot was drawn, Ruby Cattle Company's ticket was pulled from the full box and Nate Ruby selected his own bull as the 2015 winner. Event sponsor: Purina Animal Nutrition and Eberspacher Enterprises.
• 2014 –For the 10th anniversary, the program expanded to add in Power Females into the mix. Winner Jerry Blum of IN had the option of picking from both bull and female finalists and he selected Hilbrand Cattle Company's Leading Lady heifer as the People's Choice Power Simmental. Event sponsor: Purina Mills and Eberspacher Enterprises.
• 2013 – Jerry McCaw’s name was drawn, but McCaw had to return to Ignacio, CO for work and had designated neighbor Robert Campbell to do his bull selection. Oak Meadow Farm’s OMF Double Show Z10 was picked. Event sponsor: Purina Mills and Eberspacher Enterprises.
• 2012 – Kenny Mason's name was drawn to pick the 2012 Power Bull. The Pattonburg, MO breeder was absent, but had designated on his ticket that son-in-law Nate Ruby of Iowa should pick in his stead. Nate picked PVSF Ruby Madden 126Y, with Ken's daughter at the bull's halter. Event sponsor: Purina Mills and Eberspacher Enterprises.
• 2011 – Ruby NFF Expedition 021X, from Ruby Cattle Co & Nelson Farms, was selected the 2011 Power Bull by Alfred Bayer. Ruby also had high selling bull lot in the sale. Event sponsor: Purina Mills and Eberspacher Enterprises.
• 2010 – Long Simmental’s red
yearling bull, Cowboy Amigo W7, was selected the Power Bull by Jeff
Springer. “Winning the Power Bull and having all our fellow breeders
admire our cattle is a true honor,” said Iowa breeder Rob Long. Event sponsor: Purina Mills and Eberspacher Enterprises.
• 2009 – Scott Grass & his crew pooled their
money to buy the winning ticket and then selected their own Grass-Lunning
percentage bull to win. Event sponsor: Purina Mills
• 2008 – Phil Curtis of Michigan
used the internet option of buying his lucky ticket. His designated
rep selected Triple C Main Event T074 as the Power Bull. Event
sponsor: ShowRite Feeds.
• 2007 – The odds were steep but
JS Simmental of Iowa, won it all. The breeder not only had a bull in
the top six selected by the crowd, but then Jay Steenhoek’s own name
was drawn out of the locked box. Steenhoek selected his own bull to
be named 2007 winner. Event sponsor: Ivesco and Pfizer
• 2006 – Teenager Darby Reynolds
of New York was drawn as the 2006 winner. Her dad, Art, purchased
the ticket in Darby’s name, then the pair selected Triple C Extra
Power R09E as the Power Bull. Event sponsor: Pfizer Animal
Health and Stockmen's Supply.
• 2005 — Rob Pischel of Nebraska
selected a bull from J&C Simmental as the first winner. On a sale
flyer featuring prodigy of the bull, renamed J&C Power Bull, Rob
recently wrote: “It looks like winning that bull will help out our
program.” Event sponsor: Pfizer Animal Health and