Colorado Simmental Association • 24614 Road G. • Sugar City, CO • 81076-9514 • Phone: 719-267-3265 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A huge crowd moved into the ring to judge the animals entered in the 2017 Power Simmental event, held during National Western Stock Show.
As selected by the votes, the people's choice finalists were:
* Purebred bulls: Schaake Farms, champion with SFI Enough Said D3; and Vogler Cattle, reserve with VCL Dagger 605D;
* Percentage bulls: Ruby Cattle Co, champion with Ruby's Battle Cry 656D; and K-Ler Cattle Co, reserve with K-Ler Dependable 631D;
* Purebred heifers: Grass-Lunning Simmentals, champion with GLS Della D8; and Oval F Farms, reserve with Oval F Dixie D619;
* Percentage heifers: Hilbrands Cattle Co, champion with HILB/JLC Impressive Sight; and Ruby Cattle Co, reserve with Ruby's SWC Yetti D650.
Sponsor Eberspacher Enterprise helped present the coats to the finalists. Then sponsor Purina Animal Nutrition's Paul Hill drew out the winning judge's ticket.
Congratulations to Johnson Land & Cattle of Wessington, SD, who selected Hilbrand's percentage female, HILB/JLC Impressive Sight D1117, as the 2017 People's Choice Power Simmental winner!
People's Choice Power Bull marked its 13th year in 2017. Previous winners were:
• 2016 – Jerry Adamson had the winning judging ballot and selected HPF Sazerac 305C by Hudson Pine Farms as the winning female in 2016. Event sponsor: Purina Animal Nutrition and Eberspacher Enterprises.
• 2015 – Iowa's Nate Ruby must have had a lucky charm in his pocket. When the winning judging ballot was drawn, Ruby Cattle Company's ticket was pulled from the full box and Nate Ruby selected his own bull as the 2015 winner. Event sponsor: Purina Animal Nutrition and Eberspacher Enterprises.
• 2014 –For the 10th anniversary, the program expanded to add in Power Females into the mix. Winner Jerry Blum of IN had the option of picking from both bull and female finalists and he selected Hilbrand Cattle Company's Leading Lady heifer as the People's Choice Power Simmental. Event sponsor: Purina Mills and Eberspacher Enterprises.
• 2012 – Kenny Mason's name was drawn to pick the 2012 Power Bull. The Pattonburg, MO breeder was absent, but had designated on his ticket that son-in-law Nate Ruby of Iowa should pick in his stead. Nate picked PVSF Ruby Madden 126Y, with Ken's daughter at the bull's halter. Event sponsor: Purina Mills and Eberspacher Enterprises.
• 2011 – Ruby NFF Expedition 021X, from Ruby Cattle Co & Nelson Farms, was selected the 2011 Power Bull by Alfred Bayer. Ruby also had high selling bull lot in the sale. Event sponsor: Purina Mills and Eberspacher Enterprises.
• 2010 – Long Simmental’s red yearling bull, Cowboy Amigo W7, was selected the Power Bull by Jeff Springer. “Winning the Power Bull and having all our fellow breeders admire our cattle is a true honor,” said Iowa breeder Rob Long. Event sponsor: Purina Mills and Eberspacher Enterprises.
• 2009 – Scott Grass & his crew pooled their
money to buy the winning ticket and then selected their own Grass-Lunning
percentage bull to win. Event sponsor: Purina Mills
Colorado Simmental Association • Colorado Simmental Association • Colorado Simmental Association • Colorado Simmental Association